The cost of conflict is difficult to nail down. When you consider the loss of productivity from:
- The parties avoiding each other;
- When the parties come together, deeper issues of their work are not addressed;
- Colleagues know there is conflict and can get caught up in taking sides;
- Colleagues avoid issues that are of value to the organisation to avoid getting caught up in the conflict;
- Management time gets soaked up like a sponge dealing with the direct and indirect issues.
The cost therefore has to be significant. Utilising a skilled mediator to address the conflict, quickly becomes a significant productivity enhancer when such conflicts exist.
If you have such an issue in your team, we would be delighted to discuss how we can assist.